Monday 15 February 2016

Dip and Flip

I have to admit I don't usually go out to eat burgers. That's not to say that I don't like them as I do . Its just that when I think of going out for a burger unfortunately my mind swings to McDonald's, which quite frankly controversially or not I don't actually think of as food. Well back to the good stuff. I was asked along to the preview night of a new opening of London Burger restaurant Dip and Flip. A new concept for me as the burgers are served with gravy. Well I went along enjoyed it and decided to return the following week with my husband and son as a paying customer to see if what I'd previously enjoyed  would be the same in a normal customer setting.
We returned on a Wednesday lunchtime and sat at a seat in the window. From here we could see the kitchen area where the food is cooked. I quite like to see this . There's no hiding. We perused the menu and eventually decided that we would all try something different so we could have a broad variety of the menu. We also hinted that we might be greedily having seconds as there were so many good combinations (who knew burgers could be so good?). We were advised that the burgers were cooked medium and asked if this was ok? Well we were happy with that and they came cooked perfectly. They are made from West Country beef which I have to say tasted incredibly nice.
To start my son and I decided on the eponymous Dip and Flip burger. These are a cheeseburger served with either roast beef or lamb dunked in gravy. Served with ketchup, mustard pickles and slaw. I had the lamb one and my son went for the beef. Well it was so good. The beef and lamb in tender thin slices sitting on a wonderful meaty burger dripping with rather good gravy with extra also served alongside in one of those old fashioned mini enamel pie tins everyone's grandma had so you can dip to your heart's desire . The gravy really is good. Made from scratch using beef bones, vegetables and herbs. Oh yes and a few other beef related secret ingredients then simmered for a long time. This is 'proper 'gravy. None of your gravy granules here. Also its served in a brioche bun . Now although there are those out there that aren't happy with the brioche burger bun I genuinely have to say that this is really a good one. Not sweet and doughy like some. In fact it goes with the gravy really well.
My husband opted for the Bacon Double Cheeseburger as he finds it really hard to succumb to the lure of bacon. Again served with that lovely gravy. He ate his before we could get a look in. I think that speaks for itself !! Alongside the burgers we tried the very naughty Squeezy Cheesy Fries. Again not something I'd normally have but let's just say I've now got a guilty secret pleasure!! Gooey squeezy cheese melted over seasoned fries. A perfect accompaniment to a good burger.
Ok. I did mention that we were possibly going to go in for seconds . Well although  what we already had eaten was quite adequate we knew we wouldn't be eating for at least another 8 hours so we thought that good enough excuse. Also we had to eat more for the purpose of this blog . Research is the key. (Our excuse anyway).
So round two went like this : I had to try the Bacon Cheese Burger as I didn't get the chance to try my husband's. Well I have to say I was once again happy. It's so nice to see that they didn't skimp on the quality of the bacon and put in some salty horrible stuff. This was instead good sized slices that were cooked just right, so that the fat has dissolved and left a nicely crisped slice. It went lovely with the huge slices of pickle which are a particular favourite.
My son went for the Green Chilli Burger. It was  good to see that they served what they meant. No skimping on the lovely pile of green chillies sitting on top of a cheese topped burger. This one will be mine on our next visit! Lovely!. The last one was my husband's second choice of a Fried Chicken Burger . Juicy chicken in a crunchy bread crumbed coating served along with the slaw and pickle again. I got a taste this time and have to say it was lovely although I think the beef burgers were so good that I'd stick to them.
There's quite a good selection of drinks to be had too ranging from craft beers  to cider .They also make rather  good thick shakes which can be made into Hard shakes with the addition of a bourbon shot. My husband tried one of the 'regular' (if you can call them that with the amazing flavours they came in) shakes, a Peanut Butter and Chocolate Brownie shake. The special. Wow! is all I can say. What a great, thick shake. Deliciousness in a glass. Highly recommended. Well to finish we tried a Pickleback shot which is a shot of Bourbon followed by a shot of the sweet pickle juice. Sounds wrong but it tastes pretty good.
All in all a great experience at going out to eat a burger . It was nice to see the cross section of customers that visited while we were there too. There were office workers ,a family, pensioners oh yes and us. So this is a concept that is so good that it appeals to all age groups.





With three locations Battersea,Wimbledon and Tooting (we visited Tooting) I can highly recommend a visit.














3 comments:

  1. I do like a good burger, and going for seconds is a natural thing but what about 3rds ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tried but could manage no more 😁

      Delete
    2. We tried but could manage no more 😁

      Delete