Monday 18 January 2016

The Half Moon Melplash

This is my third visit to The Half Moon at Melplash in Dorset since  Karl and Suzie Bashford took over. I'd previously eaten at their previous pub in Powerstock so knew just what a high standard of food to expect. Although it was a cold winter's January night the pub was busy with diners.
 After ordering our drinks at the bar we were shown to our table next to the very inviting log fire. A lovely feature of this traditional country pub. Looking at the menu to choose our meals was difficult as there are so many fantastic dishes to choose from .This is always our dilemma when we visit as the menu also is quite seasonal so there is always something new to try. The prices too are very good with starters ranging from £6 -£8, main courses £12 -£18 and desserts all around £5-£6. Great value for good food. We were told that the langoustine had ran out but it had been replaced by a bream dish. (nice to have an extra choice in replacement).
As I had the delicious Dorset snails on my last visit I opted for something different this time and went for the Deep Fried rabbit with Southern Spices and aioli whilst my husband chose the West Bay Crab on toast. My rabbit was fantastic. Tasty chunks of rabbit covered in a really crisp coating with a lovely hit of spiced heat. Nothing overbearing but just right, along with a very perfectly garlicky aioli.
My husband's crab on toast was a generous portion of both white and brown meat (no skimping) which was fresh and so tasty. A simple but lovely starter.
Happily contented with our starters we soaked up the atmosphere and the warmth from the lovely fire until our main courses arrived. Now this is where I was very happy indeed. Belly of pork is a favourite of mine and I find it hard to resist when I see it on a menu. I was so right to have it on this occasion (as did hubby). I can honestly say this was one of the best belly of pork dishes I've ever had!! It was served on a bed of champ mash, along with a homemade faggot and cider apple sauce.


Well where do I start? Sat on top of fluffy creamy champ mash the pork was cooked to absolute perfection. Tender and tasty with the fat on top cooked until it was a thin layer of crisp ( a bonus). I've had some shockers in my time- soggy crackling and chewy pork. Not at all at The Half Moon. The crackling  a generous crispy slice of perfection served on the side. Also the homemade faggot was wonderful . Tasty, light, seasoned well and a nice addition to the dish with the cider apple sauce giving a nice fruity tang.  An all round wonderful dish. Totally recommended if it's on the menu when you visit. My husband also ordered a side dish of creamy ,cheesy cauliflower cheese which he devoured along with his mains. We also ordered a portion of the dripping chips for no other reason than these are just too good not to have although due to the very generous portion size of the main course a side isn't really needed.

 After a rest we ordered our desserts. Once again what to choose? Again there was another addition to the menu a flour less orange cake. After being tempted with this I eventually went for my first choice,  a real standout dish which was a wonderful flavour combination for me. A Rum and Nutmeg Creme Brulee which  tasted as good as it sounded . Very nice. This was served with one of Karl's homemade ice creams Camp Coffee flavour, one of my favourites. A perfect end to an absolutely delicious meal. My hubby had 2 scoops of ice cream ,one of his favourites which as it was his birthday they put a candle in . A lovely touch.


 All in all we had a fantastic meal with good, attentive service. If you are in the area ever give it a try. If you're not in the area its worth travelling to in order to sample the amazing food on offer.


2 comments:

  1. Do they cater for vegetarians?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes if when you book you request something vegetarian they will accomodate you

      Delete